Friday 29 April 2011

Serenading the Dill - a tribute to Sara Douglass.

One of my favourite jobs at the moment is transplanting. There is something really special about placing a little seedling in the ground with the hope that it grows into a big, strong, healthy plant. Each time I do this I'm reminded of one of my all time favourite Fantasy novel series - The Axis Trilogy - by the Australian author Sara Douglass. There is one character, Faraday, who is given the task of transplanting an entire forest of seedlings to join two forests together to help fight the evil forces which are invading from the north and all that Sci Fi stuff (yes, I know, I'm a nerd). Anyway, after each seedling is placed in the ground the ever present Goodwife Renkin (who is travelling with her) sings each seedling a lullaby and the next day, hey presto, the forest has grown.

So with this in mind I am endeavouring to sing a little tune as I plant. These lucky dill were serenaded with The Flaming Lips - 'She Don't Use Jelly' - a song I had in my head all day after Tangerines were mentioned at breakfast. So here's hoping they will grow strong and healthy and not shrivel up and die because they didn't like my singing or choice of song.


Yes, this really is the condition of my hands!



PS Sara Douglass is currently undergoing treatment for cancer. She has been keeping a blog about her home garden, Nonsuch, and there are also a few interesting reads about dealing with cancer and the silence of dying.

All Photos Above © Noeleen Warman

No comments:

Post a Comment